天空便利贴:这里是语文的天堂,也是文学的乐园。如有原创或喜欢的文章,可推荐发表,供坛友欣赏提高。您的热情和才华是天空论坛最大的财富。
来自- 中国江苏南通

加入天空更多精彩

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?我要加入(register注册)

x
马蒂斯的辞职信(中英对照)  每日单词汇 2018-12-21 23:54:42

Dear Mr. President:
亲爱的总统先生:
I have been privileged(a.荣幸的) to serve as our country's 26th Secretary of Defense which has allowed me to serve alongside our men and women of the Department in defense of our citizens and our ideals.
我有幸担任我国第26任国防部长,这使我能够与我国国防部的所有工作人员一道为我国公民和我们的理想服务。
I am proud of the progress that has been made over the past two years on some of the key goals articulated(v.阐明) in our National Defense Strategy: putting the Department on a more sound budgetary(a.预算的) footing(n.基础), improving readiness(n.准备就绪) and lethality(n.致命性) in our forces, and reforming the Department's business practices for greater performance. Our troops continue to provide the capabilities needed to prevail(v.取胜) in conflict and sustain(v.维持) strong U.S. global influence.
我为过去两年来在我们的国防战略中阐明的一些关键目标上取得的进展感到自豪:把国防部建立在一个更稳健的预算基础之上;提高我们部队的战备状况和打击能力;改革部门的业务实践以提高工作表现。我们的军队继续提供在冲突中取胜和维持强大美国全球影响力所需的能力。
One core(a.核心的) belief I have always held is that our strength as a nation is inextricably(ad.密不可分地) linked to the strength of our unique(a.独一无二的) and comprehensive(a.全面的) system of alliances(n.联盟) and partnerships(n.伙伴关系) . While the US remains the indispensable(a.不可或缺的) nation in the free world, we cannot protect our interests or serve that role effectively without maintaining(v.维持) strong alliances and showing respect to those allies(n.盟友) . Like you, I have said from the beginning that the armed forces of the United States should not be the policeman of the world. Instead, we must use all tools of American power to provide for the common defense, including providing effective leadership to our alliances. NATO's 29 democracies(n.民主国家) demonstrated(v.展现) that strength in their commitment(n.承诺) to fighting alongside us following the 9-11 attack on America. The Defeat-ISIS coalition(n.联盟) of 74 nations is further proof.
我一直坚信的一个核心信念是,我们国家的力量与我们独一无二和全面的联盟和伙伴关系的力量是密不可分的。尽管美国仍是自由世界不可或缺的国家,但如果不维持强大的联盟并尊重这些盟友,我们就无法保护我们的利益或有效地发挥这一作用。和你一样,我从一开始就说过,美国的武装部队不应该成为世界的警察。相反,我们必须利用美国力量的所有工具来提供共同防御,包括为我们的联盟提供有效的领导。9-11袭击之后,北约的29个民主国家展现了与我们并肩作战的承诺,由74个国家组成的击败ISIS的联盟进一步证明了这一点。
Similarly, I believe we must be resolute(a.坚决的) and unambiguous(a.毫不含糊的) in our approach(n.方式) to those countries whose strategic(a.战略性的) interests are increasingly in tension(n.紧张关系) with ours. It is clear that China and Russia, for example, want to shape a world consistent(a.一致的) with their authoritarian(a.专制的)model — gaining veto(n.否决) authority(n.权力) over other nations’ economic, diplomatic(a.外交的), and security decisions — to promote their own interests at the expense of their neighbors, America and our allies. That is why we must use all the tools of American power to provide for the common defense.
同样,我认为,我们必须坚决和毫不含糊地以我们自己的方式处理那些其战略利益与我们日益紧张的国家的关系。例如,中国和俄罗斯显然希望塑造一个与其专制模式一致的世界——在其他国家的经济、外交和安全决策上获得否决权——以牺牲邻国、美国和我们的盟友的利益为代价促进自身利益。这就是为什么我们必须使用美国力量的所有工具来提供共同防御。
My views on treating allies with respect and also being clear-eyed(a.头脑清醒的) about both malign(a.有害的) actors and strategic competitors are strongly held and informed by over four decades of immersion(n.沉浸) in these issues. We must do everything possible to advance an international order that is most conducive(a.有利于) to our security, prosperity and values, and we are strengthened(v.加强) in this effort by the solidarity(n.团结) of our alliances.
我对尊重盟国以及对有害的行为者和战略竞争对手保持清醒的看法,在过去40多年来我对这些问题的思考中得到了强烈的支持。我们必须尽一切可能促进最有利于我们的安全、繁荣和价值观念的国际秩序的形成,在这一努力中,我们联盟的团结使我们得到加强。
Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned(v.使一致) with yours on these and other subjects, I believe it is right for me to step down from my position. The end date for my tenure(n.任期) is February 28, 2019, a date that should allow sufficient(a.足够的) time for a successor(n.继任者) to be nominated(v.提名) and confirmed(v.确认) as well as to make sure the Department's interests are properly articulated and protected at upcoming(a.即将到来的) events to include Congressional(a.国会的) posture(n.态度) hearings and the NATO Defense Ministerial(a.部长的) meeting in February. Further, that a full transition(n.过渡, 交接) to a new Secretary of Defense occurs well in advance of the transition of Chairman of the Joint(a.联合的) Chiefs of Staff in September in order to ensure stability within the Department.
因为你有权选择一位在这些问题和其他问题上与你观点更一致的国防部长,我相信我辞去我的职务是正确的选择。我的任期结束日期是2019年2月28日,这个日期应该为提名和确认继任者留出足够的时间,还可以确保国防部的利益在即将举行的活动中得到恰当的表达和维护,包括国会听证会和2月份的北约国防部长会议。此外,为了确保国防部内部的稳定,在9月参谋长联席会议主席交接之前,就会与新的国防部长做好全面交接。
I pledge(v.保证) my full effort to a smooth transition that ensures the needs and interests of the 2.15 million Service Members and 732,079 DoD civilians receive undistracted(a.集中的) attention of the Department at all times so that they can fulfill(v.完成) their critical,round-the-clock(a.全天候的) mission to protect the American people.
我保证全力实现平稳过渡,确保215万名军人和732079名国防部文职人员的需求和利益在任何时候都不会受到干扰,以便他们能够完成关键的、全天候的任务,以保护美国人民。
I very much appreciate this opportunity to serve the nation and our men and women in uniform.
我非常感谢有这个机会为国家和我们所有的军人服务。
Jim N. Mattis
吉姆·马蒂斯

收藏
举报
举报文章问题

取消   确认

206 条评论   

写下您的评论...
评论

• 居谷霞士 1天前
    看到他的辞职信,我感觉他真的老了,该退休了,一个致力于只有西方和跟随美国的国家发达幸福,而不许中国和俄罗斯发达幸福的人是该退出历史的舞台了!
    回复  ⋅ 6条回复   176

• 涛声依旧23877535 1天前
    中国和美国永远不会走在一起 两者的价值观完全不同 都懂的
    回复  ⋅ 1条回复   48

• 多嘴3050920774736 16小时前
    信中称:“9-11袭击之后,北约的29个民主国家展现了与我们并肩作战的承诺,由74个国家组成的击败ISIS的联盟进一步证明了这一点。” 关键词:74个国家……
    回复    2

• 肇诒堂 1天前
    中国致力于和平共生的人类命运共同体。美国却一直在谋求超级霸权,凌驾于国家主权、国际组织之上,不择手段,极度的自私自利,把世界带到最危险的边缘。
    回复  ⋅ 3条回复   45

• pflas 1天前
    川普何尝不想与你一样,保持强大军队进攻性的同时,还能维护盟友的利益,但这都需要钱,知道吗?钱!川普是商人,更比马知道钱的重要性,没有钱做啥都不行,你不给小弟发工资就算了,你还说不保护小弟了,谁还跟你啊?这些川普太清楚了,马只是军人,不知道挣钱只知道花钱,真不是一个道上的!辞职趁早!

我知道答案 本帖寻求最佳答案回答被采纳后将获得系统奖励10 天空金币 , 目前已有0人回答

最近访客

来自- 中国江苏南通
天空便利贴:
到底了,觉得文章不错的,可以给作者评论或者打赏,这是创作者向前的动力。可以向上滑,或者转到相关热帖。使用过程中如有好的意见或建议,欢迎联系页面qq客服。天空论坛因你更精彩。
回复

手机扫码浏览
天空论坛,有你有我,明天更好!
来自- 中国江苏南通
点评回复 来自- 中国江苏南通

使用道具 举报 私信管理员来自- 中国江苏南通

高级模式
B Color Image Link Quote Code Smilies

本版积分规则

×天空论坛发帖友情提示:
1、注册用户在本论坛发表、转载的任何作品仅代表其个人观点,不代表本论坛认同其观点。
2、如果存在违反国家相关法律、法规、条例的行为,我们有权在不经作者准许的情况下删除其在本论坛所发表的文章。
3、所有网友不要盗用有明确版权要求的作品,转贴请注明来源,否则文责自负。
4、本论坛保护注册用户个人资料,但是在自身原因导致个人资料泄露、丢失、被盗或篡改,本论坛概不负责,也不承担相应法律责任。

QQ|手机版|我们的天空 ( 苏ICP备18048761号 ) |苏公网安备32068202000215号 |网站地图

GMT+8, 2024-4-26 10:42 , Processed in 0.249522 second(s), 53 queries , Gzip On.